There are few hairstyles as timeless and elegant as the French twist; the updo most famously worn by Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany’s truly has iconic status. That said, sometimes even the classics can benefit from a little updating, right? Of course, they can. That’s why we turned to our pal and hair guru, Erin Ryser, to give this wedding-worthy style a refresh.
Traditionally, a French twist updo is sleek and polished–which can sometimes come off as fussy or old-fashioned. By adding a bit of texture and keeping it looser and undone, Ryser gives the standard twist a modern spin: It’s still chic and elegant, just with a little extra sexy.
We’re thinking this ‘messy’ French twist is pretty perfect wedding-hair inspiration, whether you’re the bride or a guest. Want to see how it’s done? Follow the French twist step-by-step ahead–and check out the full hair tutorial video on our Instagram.
French Twist Updo Tutorial Steps:
- Tease roots of the hair at the crown, then smooth over top to hide tease.
- Run fingers through the hair as you apply medium hold spray.
- Smooth and gather hair at the crown, pinch to center, and pin in both directions, pull on the hair for texture.
- Pull hair from one side across the back and secure with pins in an upward direction.
- Tease the rest of the hair, smooth, exposed side, and roll into a twist.
- Secure with pins pointing upward and crisscrossing from the side.